and we're back for 2012...
i'm a little late with the new year, new goals post, but who's keeping track anyway?
instead of coming up with resolutions, i like to set up some goals for myself each year. goals feel more attainable, and you can appreciate small steps towards your goals, whereas resolutions seem so absolute. i had seen the idea for an inspiration board on this blog and decided to give it a go. i cut out some inspirational sayings and photos and made a little collage, with a list of all my goals for the year on the back.
i divided my goals into a few categories: personal, professional, athletic, financial, relationship. for the purposes of the blog i'm just going to share my athletic goals, the other stuff is less fun anyway ;)
at first i thought i put too many goals down, but then i remembered how much you can accomplish in a year, for example in 2009 my goal was to train for and run a 5k and by September i ran my first and sub 2 hour half marathon, and by year end set my sights on the marathon.
so here they are, the things i hope to accomplish in the world of fitness this year:
- get on the bike once/week by April- it was a great bday gift, but i have sadly only been on it once because my focus was marine corps marathon training when i got it.
- do a triathlon- already on my way, signed up for Jersey Girl Triathlon July 29th (also my dad's bday!!)
- Weight work once/week if running more than 40 miles/week and twice/week in less than 40- not sure if this is too easy or not, but I was pretty consistent with weight training in the first half of marathon training and then when the miles started to creep up I totally fell off the wagon.
- Try yoga or workout class- sometimes running 5 and sometimes 6 days a week can get boring without something to change it up, thought it might be fun to explore something outside my comfort zone and/or take a class with a friend
- And then we have the running time goals-PR in the 5K, 13.1, and Marathon
- 5K-21:44 or sub 22:00 (7:00/mile) current PR is 22:29 (7:14/mile)
- 13.1- break 1:45, attempt 1:43:56 (7:56/mile) by year end 1:41:57 (7:47/mile) YIKES
- 26.2- break 3:40 (8:29/mile) by year end BQ 3:35:00 (8:13/mile)- this is the big one my friends. and a little misleading, since I don't plan on doing a spring marathon this year. I guess I feel like I have a shot to BQ, but I also have other midway goals that I'd be pleased to hit.
Reading it over, it seems like a lot but I am super excited. I already have 4 races on the calender for this year and a few I know I will most likely hop in at the last minute. I have 3 half marathons planned for march and April and my first tri on the calender. I think this is going to be my best year yet!!